About This Week’s Guest
Andy Molinsky is the author of two books – Global Dexterity and Reach – and is a professor of international management and organizational behavior at Brandeis University in the US. He writes regularly for Harvard Business Review, Inc.com, and Psychology Today and is the creator of the new online course Mastering American Business Culture.
“Understand that adapting to culture is more than understanding the other culture.”
His tips to become as old as possible as healthy as possible are:
- “When in Rome do as the Romans do” and “Just be yourself“; those are two sayings or expressions that you often hear on how you should adapt to other cultures. The truth is actually somewhere in the middle. You can’t fully adapt to the other culture because you’re not the other culture, and being yourself means that you won’t adapt at all.
- Understand that adapting to a different culture is more than understanding the cultural differences. It is also about emotional intelligence and a lot of psychology.
- Don’t go at it alone. Seek support from a mentor or coach or colleague.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
You Can Also Listen to the Culture Podcast and Management Podcast
Build your Cultural Competence, listen to interesting stories, learn about the cultural pitfalls and how to avoid them, get the Global perspective here at the Culture Matters podcast on International Business.
We help you understand Cultural Diversity better by interviewing real people with real experiences.
Every episode there is an interview with a prominent guest, who will tell his or her story and share international experiences. Helping you develop your cultural competence. Welcome to this culture podcast and management podcast.
To Subscribe to this Management Podcast, Click here.
|The Culture Matters Culture Podcast. Available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio|
If you have a minute, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the visibility and the ranking of this culture podcast on iTunes immensely! A BIG THANK YOU!
Enjoy this FREE culture podcast!
Music: Song title - Bensound.com
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- Black Friday Around the World - 15. December 2018
- 111: Tigit Motorbikes in Vietnam with Jon Pepper - 4. December 2018
- 110: Cultural Differences isn’t About Them; It’s About You; Pellegrino Riccardi [Rebroadcast] - 20. November 2018