In This Article
Cultural Awareness and the Second Primary Dimension of Culture
Let’s start with a definition of Cultural Awareness:
Someone’s cultural awareness is their understanding of the differences between themselves and people from other countries or other backgrounds, especially differences in attitudes and values.
Source: Collings Dictionary
There are four primary dimensions of culture:
- Goal Orientation
The second dimension is called Individualism by Professor Geert Hofstede. When a country/culture scores high score on this dimension, it is called individualistic; when it scores low on this dimension, it’s called… Collectivistic.
See the table below for some scores.
As you can see the USA is very individualistic, while Guatemala is very (the most) collectivistic.
What Does This Mean For Your Cultural Awareness?
Do you leave each other alone and respect each other’s privacy, or is the neighbor more of a neighborhood whereby you might even keep in touch with neighbors from a long time ago?
From a western perspective it is one of the most difficult dimensions of Hofstede to comprehend; What is Individualism versus collectivism?
Professor Geert Hofstede even wrote a book on it Individualism and Collectivism: Theory, Method, and Applications. In more simple (and his own) words it is explained in this short video below.
I hope that after watching this video your cultural awareness has increased a bit and that you’ve learned some.
Want to see more explanations by Professor Geert Hofstede, check out this video on Hierarchy as well.
Get a Taste of How Chris Presents, Watch his TEDx Talk
Call Direct: +32476524957
Book Chris Smit as a Speaker
If you're looking for an Engaging, Exciting and Interactive speaker on the subject of Intercultural Management & Awareness you came to the right place.
Chris has spoken at hundreds of events to thousands of people on the subject of Cultural Diversity & Cultural Competence.
What Others Say About Chris:
- “Very Interactive and Engaging”
- “In little time he knew how to get the audience inspired and connected to his story”
- “His ability to make large groups of participants quickly and adequately aware of the huge impact of cultural differences is excellent”
- “Chris is a dedicated and inspirational professional”
His presentation can cover specific topics, or generally on Cultural differences.
Duration of any presentation can vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours and anything in between and are given World Wide.
Book Chris now by simply sending an email. Click here to do so.
- % of People Rating a Presentation as Excellent 86% 86%
- % of People Rating a Presentation as Practical 89% 89%
- % of People Rating a Presentation as Applicable 90% 90%
- 141: Peter Kozodoy on How Honesty Can Help Your Business - 23. July 2020
- How Poetry From Different Cultures Influenced Each Other - 16. June 2020
- 140: Melissa Lamson on Inclusion and Diversity - 4. June 2020