John Amaechi is a psychologist, New York Times bestselling author and former NBA basketball player. All this united in one person? Yes! and with 6′ 4″ he not only physically stands tall, but also when it comes to his view on sports, business and other international matters.
His 3 tips for becoming more culturally competent are:
- Be mindful towards other cultures
- Approach different cultures with a Benevolent Ignorance
- The previous point combined with an “I would like to get to know you” attitude
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
- Website: http://www.johnamaechi.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/JohnAmaechi
- Website: http://beijinglegacyblog.com/Welcome.html
- Website: http://amaechiperformance.com
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
To subscribe directly using iTunes, Click here.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 108: NBA Sports Legend John Amaechi on Sports, Business and Culture [Rebroadcast] - 16. October 2018
- 107: How International is Flavored Peanut Butter? - 2. October 2018
- Doing Business in China; Five Things You MUST Understand - 24. September 2018