About This Week’s Guest
Joe (Joseph) Lurie
Joe Lurie, Author of the Award Winning, Perception, And Deception, A Mind-Opening Journey Across Cultures, is Executive Director Emeritus of UC Berkeley’s International House where he served for two decades.
Currently a cross-cultural communications, speaker and university lecturer, he served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Kenya and directed academic programs abroad in Ghana, France, and Kenya for the School for International Training.
Formerly Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for AFS Exchange Programs in the United States and National Chair for academic studies abroad for the Association of International Educators, Joe has lectured for Berkeley’s Cal Discoveries in Thailand, Bali, South Africa and France and his work has been featured on NPR and PBS.
His tips to become more culturally aware are:
- Consider what direct eye contact means in your culture and remember that in many cultures it may mean something entirely different. For example, in many cultures, direct eye contact suggests engagement and candor and lack of eye contact may suggest dishonesty and or lack of attention or interest, while in other cultures averting the eyes may suggest respect for an elder or authority figure.
- When you meet someone for the first time, ask what they see and experience of your culture.
- Find deliberate ways to get out of your comfort zone.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
You Can Also Listen to the Culture Podcast and Management Podcast
Build your Cultural Competence, listen to interesting stories, learn about the cultural pitfalls and how to avoid them, get the Global perspective here at the Culture Matters podcast on International Business.
We help you understand Cultural Diversity better by interviewing real people with real experiences.
Every episode there is an interview with a prominent guest, who will tell his or her story and share international experiences. Helping you develop your cultural competence. Welcome to this culture podcast and management podcast.
To Subscribe to this Management Podcast, Click here.
|The Culture Matters Culture Podcast. Available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio|
If you have a minute, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the visibility and the ranking of this culture podcast on iTunes immensely! A BIG THANK YOU!
Enjoy this FREE culture podcast!
Music: Song title - Bensound.com
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- Black Friday Around the World - 15. December 2018
- 111: Tigit Motorbikes in Vietnam with Jon Pepper - 4. December 2018
- 110: Cultural Differences isn’t About Them; It’s About You; Pellegrino Riccardi [Rebroadcast] - 20. November 2018