About This Week’s Guest
Bart van Loon
After volunteering for the United Nations in the aftermath of the Kashmir Earthquake in 2005, Bart realized the potential of the South Asian labor market in Europe.
Ever since he is building long lasting professional relationships between companies and employees spanning the globe.
His tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Always realize that when it comes to communication that this is a shared responsibility. It is a 50% sender and a 50% receiver thing.
- Don’t stereotype when you’re dealing with individuals. When you’re dealing with one person, you’re not dealing with the “average” person from that culture. So be careful with this.
- Have patience when you’re dealing with someone from another culture. Take for instance the English language (or for that matter any language that two people share to communicate): The first time a Brit will speak to someone from Pakistan, (s)he might face some difficulty in understanding. But give it some time and before you know it you won’t even hear the differences in accents.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
- Bart’s personal website: http://bbbart.be
- Email: [email protected]
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
- 158 Cultural Differences Between North & South America - 5. October 2021
- 157 Peter van der Lende and Chris Smit Interviewed by Leonardo Marra - 9. September 2021
- How International Business Schools can Benefit from Cultural Competence - 9. August 2021