About This Week’s Guest
Jeri Weber, a US American lawyer knows about the demands of the legal profession and working with other cultures. She spent the first 18 years of life viewing the world through her US perspective.
Longer periods living in Indonesia, China, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany broadened her perspective and sensitized her to other cultures.
She combined her background in the law with her experience adapting across cultures and now assists legal professionals to better serve their global clients by designing solutions on specific intercultural issues and moderating the building of intercultural teams.
Her mission is to give them tools to negotiate more successfully across cultures.
Her tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Do not assume (ass-U-me) that people know about your culture or that you know about their culture. When in doubt ask. Asking never hurts.
- Really listen to what the others are saying, but also to what they’re not saying. In other words, keep your ears and eyes really open and dig a bit deeper by asking a second question after your first question on the same topic.
- Be open to whatever is coming. Obeserve and try not to judge.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
- 168 Heather Hansen and the link between language and culture - 23 January 2023
- 167 Allen Morrison on China - 19 December 2022
- 166 Douglas Herbert. France24 international commentator - 17 October 2022