About This Week’s Guest
Jeroen Ketting is a Dutch business advisor, author, and speaker who has helped hundreds of companies succeed in the challenging Russian market.
His thought leadership and contributions to the public debate have made him a sought-after expert on Russia for both governments and media.
His thought leadership and contributions to the public debate have made him a sought-after expert on Russia for both governments and media.Ketting’s extensive Russian network, experience and practical advice are invaluable for companies looking to do business in Russia
Ketting’s extensive Russian network, experience and practical advice are invaluable for companies looking to do business in Russia.
His 3 (plus a bonus) tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Only deal with Russia if you enjoy dealing with Russians in Russia. Look at the country and it’s people as a glass being half full, rather than half empty.
- You’ll be more effective and efficient if you leave your own viewpoints behind, but with that, you don’t have to become Russian (you can’t and you won’t). You play soccer/football with soccer/football rules. You don’t play soccer/football with rugby rules. Play “the game” like the game should be played in the country that you’re playing it.
- Make sure you get introduced to Russia. Business cards alone won’t do it. Understand what you’re getting yourself into. Follow a course, get a workshop, get some coaching, read a book. Start before you’re even in Russia with this.
- (Bonus) Try to understand and accept (the Russians); don’t be judgemental.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
- Simply Google “Ketting Russia” This will bring you the website: http://www.thelighthousegroup.ru/gb/
- Otherwise, get in touch with me and I will give you the details of Jeroen.
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 130: International Negotiations with Jan Potgieter - 26. November 2019
- 129: Rachel Smets on Choosing a Life of Freedom & Fulfillment - 14. November 2019
- Why E-Learning and Cultural Competency are a Bad Match - 13. November 2019