About This Week’s Guest
Jeanne Boden is Managing Director at ChinaConduct, a company specializing in training and coaching European, Chinese, and people from around the globe in EU-China cooperation and communication.
As a Belgian/European Jeanne Boden holds a PhD. in Oriental Languages and Cultures.
She spent many years in China studying, conducting research, and working in many contexts and positions all over China, including Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Her five! tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Become aware of the difference between your culture and the Chinese culture; although you should realize that there is no magic wand to do this.
- Study not only the culture but also the context where your business will take place. Who are the people? Where do they come from? What is the company like? The region that you’re doing business… etc.
- Experience the culture. Here and there. Know the reality. Not only working long distances but also when you’re there. Go out and get lost and learn and enjoy that experience.
- Don’t be naive about the other culture. It is not that you should either admire or deny it. Cultural differences are always “grey”.
- Connect to people, both when you’re there and also when they are here.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
An article about how to “behave” in an international environment can be found here.
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
Another article about China and the Chinese can be found here.
- 166 Douglas Herbert. France24 international commentator - 17 October 2022
- 165 9-More signs you’re not getting it; it’s culture, stupid - 13 October 2022
- It’s Culture Stupid. Nine More Signs You’re Not Getting It - 29 August 2022