Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 44:09 — 35.5MB) | Embed
About This Week’s Guest
Anna Maria Darmanin
Anna Maria is an entrepreneur, a policy adviser, a sailor, a University lecturer where she teaches Intercultural Communication.
A Maltese, who lives in different places at different times of the year: Belgium, Canary Islands, Sicily, and Malta.
Her three tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Listen, listen, listen; and this is more than hearing. What is the other saying? Do you truly understand what the other actually means? If not, ask.
- Be more aware of your own culture. Your own culture colours how you see the others. As the Chinese saying goes: “When you and I look at the same river, we both see a different one”.
- Respect the differences you face when communicating interculturally.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
To subscribe directly using iTunes or Stitcher, Click here, or here (or click any of the images below).
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
- Scandinavian Culture - 25 May 2023
- 174 Jose Martinez on doing business in Mexico - 19 May 2023
- 173 John Pabon on sustainability and cultural differences. - 19 April 2023