In This Article
About This Weeks Guest
Amanda grew up in Eastern Africa, lived and worked in Hong Kong, and has traveled and worked throughout Eastern and Southern Africa, India, China and Western Europe. This lifetime of experiences have given her a passion for people and cultures and as a result as helped to develop a unique perspective on Global competency, cross-cultural nuances and training internationally. When she is not finding new adventures by spending weekends in Paris, riding elephants in Thailand, or listening to lions roar on safari in Africa – Amanda can be found in Dallas, TX spending time with her friends, her pets, and dreaming of her next adventure.
Her 3 tips for becoming more culturally competent are:
- Look around you. Simply stop and look around you without being busy all the time. Look at what is right, rather than what you could fix, make better, or improve.
- Listen to what is being said; without the intention to respond necessarily.
- “Love” the other person. The other person is human too. Ask yourself: What can I learn from them?
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
To subscribe directly using iTunes, Click here.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at [email protected]
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 130: International Negotiations with Jan Potgieter - 26. November 2019
- 129: Rachel Smets on Choosing a Life of Freedom & Fulfillment - 14. November 2019
- Why E-Learning and Cultural Competency are a Bad Match - 13. November 2019