About This Week’s Guest
Mathilde is a 24-year old Master’s student at Copenhagen Business School within the field of business, language, and culture.
She is currently doing an internship in Paris for a company that provides business assistance to Danish companies in France and helps Danish companies overcome the cultural barriers that exist between the two countries.
Her tips (there are many!) to become more culturally aware are:
- Go abroad to meet new people and get the real experiences yourself. Don’t only read books about other cultures and countries, make sure you visit them because nothing can beat the real thing.
- Be open minded. Although that is easier said than done. Try to acknowledge your own norms and values. Make sure you try new things. Things that at first may seem strange, but which are actually the norm in your new country or environment. Be a new, better, and different version of yourself.
- Ask, ask, ask. When you don’t understand something that is happening around you, ask politely what is going on. Why do people do what they do. Add to it that you’d like to understand them better and I’m sure they are very willing to talk about themselves and their own country.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
You Can Also Listen to the Culture Podcast and Management Podcast
Build your Cultural Competence, listen to interesting stories, learn about the cultural pitfalls and how to avoid them, get the Global perspective here at the Culture Matters podcast on International Business.
We help you understand Cultural Diversity better by interviewing real people with real experiences.
Every episode there is an interview with a prominent guest, who will tell his or her story and share international experiences. Helping you develop your cultural competence. Welcome to this culture podcast and management podcast.
To Subscribe to this Management Podcast, Click here.
|The Culture Matters Culture Podcast. Available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio|
|Click here to get the podcast on Spotify|
|Talk to your Amazon Alexa and listen to the Podcast|
If you have a minute, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the visibility and the ranking of this culture podcast on iTunes immensely! A BIG THANK YOU!
Enjoy this FREE culture podcast!
Music: Song title - Bensound.com
More Ways of Listening:
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 115: Expats, Culture & Money with Mikkel Thorup - 12. March 2019
- How Cultural Similarities Can Lead to Cultural Difficulties. A Case Study - 7. March 2019
- 114: Isabel Cortes and Life in Colombia - 26. February 2019