About This Week’s Guest
Joe Lurie, Author of the Award-Winning, Perception, And Deception, A Mind-Opening Journey Across Cultures, is Executive Director Emeritus of UC Berkeley’s International House where he served for two decades.
Currently cross-cultural communication, speaker, and university lecturer, he served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Kenya and directed academic programs abroad in Ghana, France, and Kenya for the School for International Training.
Formerly Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for AFS Exchange Programs in the United States and National Chair for academic studies abroad for the Association of International Educators, Joe has lectured for Berkeley’s Cal Discoveries in Thailand, Bali, South Africa, and France and his work has been featured on NPR and PBS.
His tips to become more culturally aware are:
- Consider what direct eye contact means in your culture and remember that in many cultures it may mean something entirely different. For example, in many cultures, direct eye contact suggests engagement and candor, and lack of eye contact may suggest dishonesty and or lack of attention or interest, while in other cultures averting the eyes may suggest respect for an elder or authority figure.
- When you meet someone for the first time, ask what they see and experience in your culture.
- Find deliberate ways to get out of your comfort zone.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
- The book Perception and Deception
- Website: http://perceptionanddeception.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Culture Matters YouTube Channel
The Culture Matters Podcast on International Business & Management Podcast
Build your Cultural Competence, listen to interesting stories, learn about the cultural pitfalls and how to avoid them, and get the Global perspective here at the Culture Matters podcast on International Business.
We help you understand Cultural Diversity better by interviewing real people with real experiences.
Every episode there is an interview with a prominent guest, who will tell his or her story and share international experiences. Helping you develop your cultural competence. Welcome to this culture podcast and management podcast.
|To Subscribe to this Management Podcast, Click here.|
|The Culture Matters Culture Podcast. Available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio|
|Click here to get the podcast on Spotify|
|Talk to your Amazon Alexa and listen to the Podcast|
|Listen directly on Amazon|
If you have a minute, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the visibility and the ranking of this culture podcast on iTunes immensely! A BIG THANK YOU!
Enjoy this FREE culture podcast!
Music: Song title - Bensound.com
More Ways of Listening:
Get a Taste of How Chris Presents, Watch his TEDx Talk
Call Direct: +32476524957
European Office (Paris) Whatsapp: +32476524957
The Americas (USA; Atlanta, GA; también en Español): +1 678 301 8369
Book Chris Smit as a Speaker
If you're looking for an Engaging, Exciting, and Interactive speaker on the subject of Intercultural Management & Awareness you came to the right place.
Chris has spoken at hundreds of events and to thousands of people on the subject of Cultural Diversity & Cultural Competence.
This is What Others Say About Chris:
- “Very Interactive and Engaging”
- “In little time he knew how to get the audience inspired and connected to his story”
- “His ability to make large groups of participants quickly and adequately aware of the huge impact of cultural differences is excellent”
- “Chris is a dedicated and inspirational professional”
In addition, his presentations can cover specific topics cultural topics, or generally on Cultural differences.
Presentations can vary anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours and are given World Wide.
Book Chris now by simply sending an email. Click here to do so.
Read more about what Chris can do for you.
- Percentage of People Rating a Presentation as Excellent 86% 86%
- Rating the Presentation as Practical 89% 89%
- Applicability of Chris' presentation 90% 90%
About Peter van der Lende
Peter has joined forces with Culture Matters.
Because he has years and years of international business development experience joining forces therefore only seemed logical.
Being born and raised in the Netherlands, he has lived in more than 9 countries of which most were in Latin America.
He currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia (USA) with his family.
You can find out more at https://expand360.com/
Or find out what Peter can do for you here.
- 166 Douglas Herbert. France24 international commentator - 17 October 2022
- 165 9-More signs you’re not getting it; it’s culture, stupid - 13 October 2022
- It’s Culture Stupid. Nine More Signs You’re Not Getting It - 29 August 2022