Culture Shock in Practice?
About This Week’s Guest
Dylan Bollen is a Ph.D. student in astronomy and astrophysics at KU Leuven University and Macquarie University, Sydney.
It’s the second time he is on the show and this time we talk about how he adapted to Australian culture and dealt with his (mild) culture shock.
“After three months here in Australia, I haven’t changed much. I’m still a Belgian.”
His tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Repeating his tip from the first interview: Be open and open yourself up to others. Have a conversation with people. Talk to them.
- Be or become part of a club; this will help you in your structure and will get you in contact with other people.
- Explore & Enjoy.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
If you want to listen to the first part of the podcast, before he left Belgian, go here.
Should you want to know more about culture shock, go here.
You Can Also Listen to the Culture Podcast and Management Podcast
Build your Cultural Competence, listen to interesting stories, learn about the cultural pitfalls and how to avoid them, get the Global perspective here at the Culture Matters podcast on International Business.
We help you understand Cultural Diversity better by interviewing real people with real experiences.
Every episode there is an interview with a prominent guest, who will tell his or her story and share international experiences. Helping you develop your cultural competence. Welcome to this culture podcast and management podcast.
To Subscribe to this Management Podcast, Click here.
|The Culture Matters Culture Podcast. Available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio|
If you have a minute, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the visibility and the ranking of this culture podcast on iTunes immensely! A BIG THANK YOU!
Enjoy this FREE culture podcast!
Music: Song title - Bensound.com
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 107: How International is Flavored Peanut Butter? - 2. October 2018
- Doing Business in China; Five Things You MUST Understand - 24. September 2018
- 106: Cultural Differences in the Fitness Industry with Mounir Azegra - 18. September 2018