About This Week’s Guest
Anna Maria Darmanin
Anna Maria is an entrepreneur, a policy adviser, a sailor, a University lecturer where she teaches Intercultural Communication.
A Maltese, who lives in different places at different times of the year: Belgium, Canary Islands, Sicily, and Malta.
Her three tips to become more culturally competent are:
- Listen, listen, listen; and this is more than hearing. What is the other saying? Do you truly understand what the other actually means? If not, ask.
- Be more aware of your own culture. Your own culture colours how you see the others. As the Chinese saying goes: “When you and I look at the same river, we both see a different one”.
- Respect the differences you face when communicating interculturally.
Links that are mentioned in this episode:
Build Your Cultural Competence
In the Culture Matters podcast, we interview real people with real stories.
Every other week there is a guest with broad international experience and lots of cultural insights. I interview real people with real stories.
How To Get In Touch With Culture Matters
I’d love for you to get in touch. There are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Via this website: Just use the “Ask Your Question” tab on the right of the screen and leave a voicemail
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send me a Tweet: @chrissmit
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this far, and to listen to my Podcast.
I hope you will be back for the next episode of the Culture Matters Podcast!
I have a Master's Degree in Organisational Psychology and have lived in the USA, the Netherlands and, currently, in Belgium.
Latest posts by Chris Smit (see all)
- 117: Why Travel Matters with Craig Storti - 9. April 2019
- Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast - 8. April 2019
- 116: Eric Maddox from Virtual Dinners to Open Roads - 26. March 2019